Head of Insurance
Waffle is an early stage InsurTech dedicated to reinventing personal lines insurance. At Waffle, we create ‘YOU’ insurance that protects you, everyone and everything you love through one product. This includes protecting your car, home, life, travel, electronics and pet. We are lucky to be backed by phenomenal investors, to have a senior team that worked at the highest level of the industry and to have already established partnerships with major industry players.
The company was launched out of MIT in 2018, participated in the Barclays Accelerator, powered by Techstars and presented at InsurTech Connect in 2019. We are based in the center of New York, near the Flatiron building.
What is the role?
We are seeking a Head of Insurance to join our Senior Executive Team and manage Waffle’s core insurance functions, including its MGA operations, underwriting, insurance product strategy, pricing, reinsurance and risk management. The team has extensive experience within the industry and related areas but is looking to bring onboard someone to own the insurance operation. This person will report directly to the CEO and be accountable for a large, multi-state P&L and the full-stack (licensed) insurance organization behind it.
What will you do?
- Develop and Maintain Carrier Partnerships
- Identify insurance carriers for further partnerships
- Help align our product strategy and roadmap with carrier capabilities
- Establish and own relationships with new and existing carrier partners; collaborate with carriers to expand features, lines of business and geographic coverage
- Lead the insurance related integration with our partners
- Product Management
- Guide product strategy and roadmap informed by industry knowledge, regulatory hurdles and operational feasibility
- Create new insurance products from scratch: (1) policy contracts, (2) rate plans, actuarial factors and rating methods, (3) state rate fillings, (4) expense ratio analysis, and (5) underwriting rules
- MGA Operations
- Design and setup scalable operations
- Develop business requirement for MGA capabilities
- Monitor underwriting model and policy performance
- Ensure continuous profitability, growth, operational efficiencies and a high quality, unparalleled customer experience
What do you need?
- 8-10 years progressively more responsible work experience in the insurance industry.
- Personal lines and MGA experience required
- Good understanding of technology and how to seamlessly blend insurance and product/technology goals and outcomes, as proven by successful past collaboration
- Life and/or P&C broker agent for high net worth individual is an advantage
- Life and/or P&C agent license(s) is an advantage
- Experience dealing with state regulators is an advantage
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to develop and present clear and concise analysis and recommendations to senior management
- Strongly prefer a candidate that is located or willing to relocate to New York City
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive compensation and benefits package including top tier healthcare coverage and attractive equity plan
- The ability to build and shape the entire insurance organization of a rapidly growing, disruptive technology startup that is dedicated to improving value for all customers
- February 2020
Waffle is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair hiring practices and to creating a welcoming environment for all team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, familial status or veteran status.
How to apply
If interested, please send your resume to email@example.com.