Head of Insurance (MGU) Operations
Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we’re passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium-sized businesses. We’ve built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
We are seeking a Head of Insurance Ops to manage Sana’s core insurance functions, including its MGU operations, underwriting, plan design strategy, pricing, captive, and reinsurance. The ideal candidate possesses significant experience in the health insurance industry and a high comfort level with industry-standard concepts and methodology. At the same time, that person brings a collaborative and flexible entrepreneurial mindset that is critical in a startup environment. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this role serves as a key member of the Sana’s operational leadership team and works closely with management in Sales, Customer Success, Finance, Marketing, Product, and Engineering.
We are building a distributed operations team and encourage all applicants to apply, regardless of location.
What you will do
- Own the strategic vision for insurance pricing and underwriting. You will lead a critical aspect of Sana’s business and work cross-functionally to craft a plan building upon our strategic priorities.
- Lead and continue to build a high performing team consisting of underwriting managers, pricing operations managers, actuarial analysts, stop loss actuaries, and other roles yet to be defined.
- Develop and foster plans for team team members’ continued career growth through regular coaching, consistent 1:1s, feedback sessions, and Q&A during normal business hours.
- Manage the long-term performance of Sana’s medical stop loss reinsurance loss ratios and create new insurance products from scratch: policy contracts, rate plans, actuarial factors and rating methods, state filings, expense ratio analysis, and underwriting rules.
- Build enduring relationships with our reinsurance treaty partners and own the day-to-day relationship of MGU partners such as our broker, fronting carrier, rating manual, and data providers.
- Implement, manage, and maintain the underwriting process end-to-end, including ensuring a smooth process for the delivery of all final quotes, experience rating, and sales proposals.
- Work cross-functionally with product/engineering to drive the roadmap, with Sales to drive new business growth, Marketing to drive state expansion, and Customer Success to ensure retention.
- Manage ad hoc trade-offs on difficult underwriting issues with the right blend of judgment and data-informed decision-making, including any escalations during normal business hours.
- Develop a deep understanding of Sana’s claims data in order to deliver insightful, detailed analyses on all things related to the MGU function at Sana.
- Build and run an audit program that ensures regulatory and contractual compliance.
- 10+ years of work experience in the insurance industry, high-growth startups, and/or consulting. Bonus points for prior medical stop loss insurance experience and extra bonus points for insurtech experience.
- Excellent people manager and strong team player with a track record of working cross-functionally. You know how to identify, recruit, and maximize your team’s talent. People love working with and for you.
- Exceptional analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to look at key performance metrics on a regular basis to find trends, drill-down into cases as needed, and to take data-informed action accordingly. Experience with SQL and using business intelligence tools such as Mode or Tableau is a plus.
- Outstanding communication skills in-person, over the phone, in writing, via email, chat, carrier pigeon, etc.
- Values-oriented. You care deeply about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Unparalleled attention to detail. You love getting into the weeds to get things done.
- Fast learner. Entrepreneurial. Self-directed. Excited to build something from scratch.
- Gritty. You’re willing to jump into any of the MGU team’s work and support. We’re a small team and sometimes when a few of us are out, we all need to help fill in for each other.
- Unphased by change. We are a startup and need people who are ok doing things outside of their traditional job description. We need someone comfortable in challenging the processes and approaches taken by legacy carriers, as we aren’t here to simply improve on what’s been done incrementally.
- Comfortable with modern web applications. We are building all of our software in-house and you will be a key constituent in its development.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options in rapidly scaling startup
- Flexible vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision Insurance
- 401(k) and HSA plans
- Parental leave
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment
Sana is an innovative health insurance company offering modern benefits to small and medium businesses. We’ve created efficient financing structures and integrated technology solutions that cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower costs. Founded in 2017, Sana has the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. We’re growing fast, and carefully building the right team to help us create the future of health insurance.
How to apply
Please apply directly on our career page: https://jobs.lever.co/sanabenefits/02d89816-c7c9-4d3a-bff8-d85b2f423e05 You can list Coverager as the referral.