Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we’re passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium businesses. We’ve built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
We are seeking an innovative, skilled, and enthusiastic Corporate Actuary to join our growing Finance team. This dynamic, high energy individual will be responsible for our internal and external financial reporting, opinions on adequacy of capital and reserves, financial planning, and reinsurer reporting.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience with financial reporting in an insurance environment, including the unique risk structures that Sana uses: reinsurers, fronting carriers, and captives. This individual will also have in-depth knowledge of insurance data structures and systems, and use this knowledge to inform the construction and maintenance of Sana’s data model.
This individual should demonstrate the strong interpersonal skills needed to connect with a variety of individuals. They will also need to understand the reporting needs of Sana’s partners, and how they are crucial to maintaining strong business relationships. The ideal candidate should be qualified to produce statements of actuarial opinion on group and health products. This individual will participate in Sana’s Actuarial Program, which provides support for membership fees and continuing education.
Sana is a remote-first company with roots in Austin, TX. We use modern applications and communication tools to operate seamlessly across time zones on a day-to-day basis.
What you will do
- Work closely with management on corporate actuarial matters and recommend changes to business leaders
- Create, maintain, and develop the Sana’s reserving function
- Build internal capital model and contribute to Sana’s reporting engines
- Evaluate and report Sana’s future claim liabilities
- Issue actuarial opinions about Sana’s written insurance contracts, including loss ratio projections and sufficiency of reserves and capital
- Advise on reinsurance treaty arrangements and alternative capital solutions
- Provide actuarial components and ad hoc data requests to external stakeholders including reinsurers, regulators, and investors
- Coordinate with external carrier and reinsurance partners, providing information about the current state of Sana’s block and information about ongoing claims of interest
- Ensure the accuracy and quality of data used in external and internal reporting
- Assist the Finance team in areas such as financial projections, balance sheet construction, statutory/GAAP reporting, and reinsurance accounting
- Conduct independent reviews of key segments, methodologies, and assumptions
- Contribute to the setting of standards and model for best practices relating to pricing and planning processes, tools, monitors, and implementations
- Collaborate with Sana’s engineering team to ensure that pricing and reserving applications, databases, and data tools are sufficient to support Sana’s needs
- Perform independent reviews of pricing and underwriting tools
- Drive innovation in Sana’s predictive modeling and data analysis tools and methods
- Conduct research and development on topics including pricing strategies, reserve methodologies, capital modeling, and risk management frameworks
- Manage direct reports in finance and actuarial functions, as needed and appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an actuarial, mathematics, or quantitative field
- 8+ years of actuarial experience
- ASA or FSA, MAAA, and ideally 3+ years of experience in Group & Health
- Proficient in SQL, Excel, and at least one language used in data science applications: Python, R, SAS, etc.
- Experience in the financial reporting requirements of insurance companies, including the nuances of statutory, GAAP, and tax reporting
- Experience in valuation of insurance liabilities, including development of reserving and financial projection models
- Ability to understand the reporting needs of external parties and produce meaningful reporting from disparate data sets
- Ability to understand the analytical needs of other departments and build the tools necessary to meet those needs
- Affinity for remote work and ability to build positive working relationships over remote communication tools
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to create or edit formal contract language
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, self-directed, and excited to build something from scratch
- Values-oriented. You care about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Comfortable with change. We are a startup and need people who are okay doing things outside of their traditional job description.
- Comfortable with modern web applications. We are building our software in-house and you will be a key constituent in its development.
- Stock options in rapidly scaling startup
- Actuarial program
- Flexible vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision Insurance
- 401(k) and HSA plans
- Parental leave
- Remote worker stipend
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!
How to apply
Please apply directly on our website, or email your resume to one of our recruiters (Mikaela@sanabenefits.com) https://jobs.lever.co/sanabenefits/3a53254a-c815-4e4c-b9d2-6500d837edb2